Monday 28 October 2013

Oh following my final crit today, I thought I would do a quick post about it! For this project - designing and making a character from Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' I have ended up doing Trinculo. The jester. Who in my production is a 1950s confident fool mash-up of Teddy Boy meets office coffee-maker. The kind of guy who constantly checks his reflection, copies every fashion tirelessly and has delusions of grandeur. The stand out line from the play for me is when asked how he survived the storm he answers:


'Swam like a duck'

                       - He probably can't even really swim.

Anyway, here is my take on Trinculo.....





So this is my final design. The diamond pattern and winkle pickers are small nods to his Jester roots, and the neck tie,  jacket, quiff and turned up trousers reference my Teddy Boy research. He has got the overall look wrong though, showing he is a comedic character - not stylish and serious, but eager to give off the impression of authority through his appearance, but sadly misses the mark!

Back view.

Initial idea - before it became as heavily influenced by Teddy Boys!

Acting as though he is. Too. Cool.

Exploring the balance between Teddy Boy and office influences.

Working drawing of jacket.

Play with the jacket? An accessory for him to flaunt and pose with. 

Just some visual references portraying his character.


Now I just have to make it!



P.s. When I got in after class I did this. I think it is fair to say it has been a productive evening.....

No comments:

Post a Comment